The 7 of us!

The 7 of us!

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Sibling Rivalry & Taking turns

Isn't it funny how kids will compete with each other.
We have had to rotate days for prayers. Yes...we have girls day & boys day! This all started when John & I got married. Even days for me...odd days for him...so it conintues with our kids...even days for girls...odd days for boys! There hasn't been to much complaint when we do this but I am sure as the twins get older it may get tricky!
Girl day & Boy day has continued to set a precedent through out our lives. For example, Makena & Tanner would try to run out the door to catch the bus and literally race each other there to be the first one in line. After a few sad days & tears...I said we would do girl day & boy day on this as well. This was a great solution...they actually wait for eachother more now! (In fact, when it first happened I made them go arm in arm all the way to the bus stop..ha ha ha! LOL! It was hilarious....they were laughing by the time they got there. I have even been know to make them hold hands when in a time out...it is guaranteed 1 minute into it they are laughing & as soon as they say sorry & hug each other they are off & playing again! It is sooooo funny!
We even rotate who gets to sit by dad at dinner time & scripture time (funny thing is no one really fights over sitting by me! Hmmm...should that concern me?) Anyway at dinner time we rotate the kids around the table. It changes on the 1st of each month...so they each get a turn sitting by dad! (Same with scripture time!)
Seating in the car stays the same for the most part...Makena sits between the twins so she can help them (snacks, books, or putting shoes on as we run somewhere! She is the biggest help!) Tanner & Kiali are in the back! (Carter & Malia are not too thrilled about this!)
So how do you solve your sibling issues? I would love to hear any ones parenting ideas! Staying ahead of the game & having solutions before the craziness surfaces is the key. And once you figure something out...then there is a new challenge in parenting...you gotta love "Parenting With Love and Logic"...one of my favorite books! I love when my kids can work it out amongst themselves. My favorite thing to say is "Work it out between yourselves" or "Please don't involve me in your problems. You guys can work it out". They quickly figure it out because they know that is much easier than facing the consequence I may give them! :) If you have any fun & creative ways to work with your kids I'd love to hear...it is so much better than gtting frustrated with them!

8 comments:

miner6to1 said...

So how does that work with all Girls?

Nichole said...

Hmm...ha ha ha...I haven't run into that problem...lets see. First you need to hav another girl...so you have an even #...then have 3 girls be even days & the other 3 be odd days! Problem solved...just get pregnant again!

Jess and Jer said...

I totally know how you feel, Nyah started this "I Won!" thing and Keira really got into and now says it for EVERYTHING!!! Making her bed, getting her dinner first, finishing dinner, getting dressed, getting in the car; EVERYTHING! Nyah gets irritated and I just tell her, "you started it and created this monster." It drives me crazy, although I find that for any type of seating, they have assigned seats no matter what so I don't have to hear the arguments of who is sitting where, this helps at least with this. If you find a good idea to help with the rivalry let me know ha ha.

Nichole said...

I have assignd seats in the car...but now the twins want to crawl in the back because they want to be BIG kids! They are sooo sad when I makee them sit in their normal seats!

miner6to1 said...

HHHEEELLOOOOOO, Where are you?????

Nichole said...

Such a blog slacker :) We are in Utah for a few weeks....so maybe when I get back I will update on the past 2 months! :) How are you Rach....are you coming to UT in the next few weeks? I will be back in mid August for another wedding

Emily said...

Hey Nichole! I have been a huge blog slacker! I just had my baby almost 3 weeks ago and that is part of the reason. Her name is Lucy Emilia (9lbs 2 oz.!) She was a week late! I will be posting all about her today (hopefully) I always try to get on the computer but with the kids home from school now it's tough. (as you know)

Nichole said...

Wow! You did have her! (A week late...that shouldn't happen with your 4th!) Ahh what a cute name...I have a niece named Lucy! I am so happy for you. When I saw pictures of you holding baby Avery I thought that was her...until I read Happy 7th B-day! :)

Congrats...I can't wait to see her picture!