The 7 of us!

The 7 of us!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Our Family Chore Chart

So after brainstorming for way too long...I finally have my chore chart!!!! This idea has been stuck in my brain for way too long. So I recruited my 2 favorite organizational friends-- my neighbor (Christy) and my friend (Missy in Washington)! We all ended up doing different kinds...but the same basic idea!
The magnetic board is just galvanized metal from Home Depot. (You can use any size frame...mine is 3 feet by 2 feet. I spent too much $ on it because I was eager to get it done! I suggest using an old frame, one from a garage sale or DI...just spray paint it!) Christy used a magnetic dry erase board from Target...she did a monthly calendar rather than a chore chart. Missy picked up a full length size mirror from the craft store (the kind that hang over the door) and replaced it with metal. Just be creative!) My vinyl lettering came in handy once again! So here it is. Everyone has their own box (even mom, dad & twins...we all contribute to working together!) I used glass stones with pictures of chores so the kids could see what they were suppose to do. I used decopodge (sp?) & a really strong magnet.
When the kids get home from school they look at their chart. They need to move all their stones from the "to-do" to the "done" category. Once their homework, piano, chores or whatever are done then they can ask me to play. (Or atleast that is the theory. It is hard to stick to my guns when a cousin or friend calls...or when the sun is out & they just want to play outside. But I figure if they can zip through it...then they have all afternoon to still play!)
There is even a square for our weekly activities. (I found these cute magnetic days of the week) We can put preschool, sports, piano, Activity Days, Scouts, Dr.appts, visiting teaching, etc. just a way to have an at glance of our week.
The "bank" at the bottom is where we keep track of bonus/extra jobs that they do. (Some are jobs we just do because we live here & we all need to learn how to clean up & work together. But there is always the option of earning more $ or rewards too. There is a "30" & they can use it to play for 30 minutes on the computer, watch TV, DS or play station, etc. Or redeem it for even more $ at the end of the week.)
To keep our main board clutter free, I added this 2 foot vertical wood/magnetic strip on the right side of my board so that we could put the extra chores or family bank $. ( We just recycle this $ because they have magnets on the back.)
These popsicle sticks in these cute jars were our "old" system. The kids would grab a stick out of the jar with the kids playing on the slide and put it in their jar when they were done. (Makena, Tanner & Kiali chose stickers of little kids that looked like them.) I am sure these jars will come in handy for something else but for now we are saying good bye to the "old" & hello to the "new"!!! What will I do now with my Christmas Cards!?! (I made this board for my chore chart...but REALLY enjoyed having it at Christmas to see all our family & friends!) Hmmm maybe I will just have to make another one...just for Wedding, Christmas cards....or notes!

4 comments:

Aimee said...

So Cute! Now you need to make me one..jk! But really you need to sell those, they have some similar here at Quilted Bear, but yours are way cuter!

Katie said...

This is so darling! And I love the words above too! So cute and clever.

Nichole said...

I'd love to make you one Aimee! I thought about selling them, they are so fun!!!

Katie, did you change your blog? I can't get on anymore...invite me....pleeeeaaaasse! Hope you are well...oh I heard a rumor about you....(don't worry, a GOOD one)! I am hoping it is true...!?! You need to come back for a visit. BTW, I heard that you & Carrie went to Wicked together! Did she tell you that we are doing a SPA night here at the Woodhaven building this Wed? You should come!

Kathy said...

LOVE IT!!!!! I turned out so cute!